Stationery Tips For Modern Brides
Imagine that we are living in England 600 years ago, 1415 to be precise. The printing press hasn't been invented and most of your friends are illiterate!! How are you going to let your friends and family know that you are engaged and invite guests to attend your wedding?
Well, the answer is simple, you have the town crier announce your wedding - obviously! The problem with this is that your wedding is then fair game to anybody that hears the announcement. Back in 1415 you would have had absolutely no control over who was invited to your wedding. Imagine that! Thankfully in 2015 things have come a long way and it's customary to send your guests a printed invitation.
Still, there are a couple of questions that I get asked frequently on this subject...
How do we decide who to invite to our wedding?
How many invitations do we need to order?
I normally advise that you start off by writing your fantasy guest list, include everybody that you can think of, then make yourself a set of rules and go through the list with a fine tooth comb. Here are some ideas to consider...
- Have you ever socialised with this person outside of work?
- Has your fiancé ever met this person?
- Have you seen this person in the last year?
This should should help you think more practically about who you are inviting and should make the job of deciding who to invite much easier. Once you have chosen your guest list and are ready to order your wedding stationery there are 2 things to bear in mind...
- You don't need to send each guest an invitation, one per family will be sufficient - I normally advise ordering invitations for 60% of your guest list for this reason.
- Make sure to write each guest name individually on the envelope so as to make it absolutely clear exactly who's invited.
I hope these tips have been helpful. If you have any other concerns or questions then let me know, it's likely that you're not the only one who could use a little advice!